Did you know that April 2nd marked the one-year anniversary of the official launch of Choosing Wisely Canada?
Here are some of the highlights from this past year:
- 45 Canadian specialty societies have joined the Choosing Wisely Canada campaign, representing 71,000 of the 77,000 physicians in Canada (92%)
- 151 recommendations of tests, treatments or procedures that physicians and patients should question have been published to date
- 26 patient pamphlets were published this past year, in addition to a digital book with CMAJ, a CWC App, and several articles in prominent international journals
- All 13 Provincial and Territorial Medical Associations have partnered with Choosing Wisely Canada to engage the physician communities across Canada
- An Early Adopter Collaborative was established to support implementation efforts across Canada, with 40-50 participants in each monthly webinar, and very encouraging results from some participants
- Our ambitious measurement effort got under with several indicators at the provincial level, and collaborations with the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) and Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) to measure overuse on a pan-Canadian and international basis, respectively
- Media coverage has been extensive over the past year, with 9% of Canadians now aware of the Choosing Wisely Canada campaign according to a recent Ipsos Reid poll
We are amazed and proud of what was accomplished in just one year. We couldn’t have done it without you and members of the growing Choosing Wisely Canada community who have rallied behind the campaign. Thank you!