It’s World Antimicrobial Awareness Week, a global event that aims to increase awareness about antibiotic resistance and encourage best practices among clinicians and the public. The Using Antibiotics Wisely campaign continues to release new tools and resources that encourage the judicious use of antibiotics to protect their effectiveness for the future and avoid the harms associated with unnecessary prescribing.
Newly released resources include:
- The third edition of the Cold Standard toolkit provides practical tips and tools for managing respiratory tract infections with considerations of COVID-19 and virtual care.
- A new e-learning module in collaboration with the College of Family Physicians of Canada on CFPCLearn: Practical Management of Respiratory Tract Infections during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
The Using Antibiotics Wisely campaign has also released tools and resources focused on reducing unnecessary antibiotic use and prescriptions for children. This year is particularly challenging with heightened concerns and awareness around symptoms including fever, congestion, and sore throat due to other respiratory viruses co-circulating alongside COVID-19.
Newly released resources relevant to pediatric care include:
- Pediatric Viral Prescription Pad: Provides other ways to help relieve symptoms to avoid unnecessary antibiotic prescriptions.
- Patient Information – Colds, Flu, and Kids: A patient pamphlet to help parents and clinicians discuss the harms associated with unnecessary antibiotic use in children.
- Patient Information – Ear Infections: Information to help parents and clinicians avoid unnecessary antibiotic use for viral ear infections.