Over the past few months, Choosing Wisely Canada has undertaken a review of its Hospital Designation Program with the goal of ensuring that our quality improvement efforts drive meaningful and lasting change in Canada’s health care system. This assessment included interviews with our expert reviewers as well as existing designated Choosing Wisely Canada Hospitals. In the spirit of continuous improvement, the Choosing Wisely Canada Hospital Designation Program will undergo some important modifications in the coming months.
- We will retire the existing Level 1, 2, 3 structure that was introduced in 2018. We will no longer accept Level 1 designation applications following October 31, 2021.
- The program will rename Levels 2 and 3 to better reflect the ongoing efforts of Canadian hospitals leading efforts to reduce overuse with minor adjustments to the requirements for designation.
Why the change?
- A new collaborative will be introduced in early 2022 that will focus on driving meaningful change in laboratory utilization.
- The new collaborative builds off the existing Level 1 designation – many of which were laboratory-related – but more than a certificate, you get to be part of a community.
What does this mean for Level 1 designations?
- Current Level 1 designations remain valid. However, this designation will no longer be referenced on the Choosing Wisely Canada Hospital website.
What does this mean for Level 2 or 3 designations?
- There will be minor adjustments to the application requirements, and a new name (since we will no longer have Level 1 as the base), but it will not significantly impact current quality improvement efforts. Changes will be announced in early 2022.
If you have questions about your current designation or a designation you are working on, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.