Under the leadership of Resident Doctors of Canada, we are excited to announce the release of 5 new recommendations of tests, treatments or procedures that are overused in residency training:
- Don’t order investigations that will not change your patient’s management plan.
- Don’t order repeat laboratory investigations on inpatients who are clinically stable.
- Don’t order intravenous (IV) when an oral (PO) option is appropriate and tolerated.
- Don’t order non-urgent investigations or procedures that will delay discharge of hospital inpatients.
- Don’t order invasive studies if less invasive options are available and as effective.
See Five Things Residents and Patients Should Question to view the full list, including a rationale and references for each recommendation.