Using Labs Wisely
Welcome to the national consortium that’s changing the lab utilization landscape in Canada.
This portal is intended for participating hospitals to learn about program updates, useful resources, and ways to interact with others in the Using Labs Wisely program.
Key Dates and Timing:
- Mon. September 11, 2023: 2 pm-4 pm ET | 11 am-1 pm PT
- Mon. October 16, 2023: 2 pm-4 pm ET | 11 am-1 pm PT
- Mon. November 13, 2023: 2 pm-4 pm ET | 11 am-1 pm PT
Participating hospitals should have the following documents completed throughout the program:
- FOR SIGNATURE: Using Labs Wisely-Terms of Participation
- FOR SUBMISSION: Quality Improvement Plan (QIP) Template
- FOR SUBMISSION: Intervention Checklist
- FOR SUBMISSION: Data Submission Instructions and Data Dictionary
QIP: Next deadline is end of September (please submit them to email@example.com).
- Data submission: Due end of September
- Sites who have already received a comparative report– only required to submit 6-month increment of data up to July 31, 2023 (submitting data onward from last submitted dataset)
- Sites who have not received a comparative report- required to submit retrospective data from January 1, 2018 to July 31, 2023.
- Data submissions and any data-related questions can be sent to GEMINI.CWC@unityhealth.to
Check out the recordings below featuring past Using Labs Wisely learning collaborative sessions.
Using Lab Wisely: Orientation
Lab Target Considerations and Example:
This video on lab target considerations provides a framework for selecting a lab target that your site may want to focus on. Please see the corresponding PowerPoint for the specific framework and the example for a real application to lab target selection.
QI Diagnostics and Stakeholder Engagement:
This video on QI diagnostics provides a review of three common QI tools used to diagnose the problem to target: process mapping, cause-and-effect analysis, and the Pareto diagram. Please see the corresponding PowerPoint for more information and relevant resources to support the use of these tools. stakeholder engagement provides a review of the hierarchy of effectiveness for different types of QI intervention as well as a framework for stakeholder engagement. Please see the corresponding PowerPoint to learn more as well as the relevant resources to carry out stakeholder mapping for your project.
Lab Change Ideas:
This video on lab change ideas covers the family of measures and highlights its linkage to lab interventions. It also explores some different types of lab interventions (e.g., education initiatives, ordering initiatives), and where it is situated on the hierarchy of effectiveness. Please see the corresponding PowerPoint to learn more.
This video on baseline data demonstrates how data can help further inform lab target selection lab change ideas as well as highlights some successful changes implemented and the need for ongoing data to be part of change strategy. Please see the corresponding PowerPoint to learn more.
ARCHIVE OF LIVE RECORDINGS OF ULW WEBINAR SESSIONS:
Using Lab Wisely Session 2: October 17, 2022
Using Lab Wisely Session 3: November 14, 2022
Using Lab Wisely Session 4: December 12, 2022
Using Lab Wisely Session 5: January 16
Using Lab Wisely Session 6: February 13